“She died while drying hair” and “Fire caused by cooking” are just some of the titles that disturb us in the black series of accidents caused by home appliances and installations. As Electricians say, most of these accidents are caused by the inattention of people.

People are not responsible for electricity and electrical appliances. Often we have reported on such accidents in the media, and most are caused by negligence. Electricity is like fire, a good servant, but a bad master. Accidents and fires are most commonly caused by causing a short circuit.

What can cause an accident?

If we touch a live electric wire while we stand on the ground, we act like a conductor and a short circuit passes through our body. It does not matter which material is on the floor. In 90 percent of cases, there is a human factor in such accidents, and 10 percent are defective appliances.

Turn off the boiler while bathing, do not use the hair dryer in the bathroom. A boiler must be turned off when showering, but about 50 percent of people don’t ever do it. Also, the hair dryer should never be used in the bathroom, and not just because its fall into the water can result in electric shock, but because after showering in the bathroom condensation is created in the air and a blow dryer, as an open device, retract it directly into the engine, which often leads to engine blasting, but it can also cause electric shock.

How to protect yourself?

In order to protect themselves against such accidents, people need to pay more attention when using electrical appliances, and they need to pay attention to installations, in addition to being careful not to poke them.

Regular service and control of both the appliances, cables, and fuses are important. The wall installations can also be tested, but not with absolute certainty. Large consumers, such as water heaters, washing machines, room heaters, do consume a lot of electricity, and if left to work for a long time, the cables carrying this electricity will start to heat, which can lead to melting of installation and loosening of wires. And when naked wire touches, there is a short circuit and a fire.

Inspect the cables and sockets

What some people do, and which is extremely dangerous, is to put stronger fuses so that they do not pop up. This just increases the risk of fire outbursts, because if the fuse can not jump out when it should, then the cables can not withstand that current and start to melt.

Sockets and extension cords should also be monitored regularly. Clean them of dust, and change them when you notice any change. And small consumers, like a refrigerator, a freezer, a computer can cause similar problems, if they work 24 hours a day. They do not pull a lot of electricity, but they pull the electricity constantly, which in time can lead to melting the insulation on cables or sockets.